Skip to main content

PTSD vs CPTSD

I have CPTSD. SO, Let's talk about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) and what the difference is. 

As the name implies, PTSD and CPTSD, are mental illnesses that develop due to traumatic experiences. While they share some features, one of the main differences between PTSD and CPTSD is the trauma that causes the disorder. PTSD develops as a result of one to a few traumatic experiences. For example, a car accident or an assult. CPTSD develops after chronic, repeated traumatic experiences, like repeated child abuse/sexual abuse, or repeated relationship violance/rape. 

Types of flashbacks 
Visual flashbacks are what most people think of when we're talking about flashbacks. But the other types of flashbacks can be a bit more difficult to understand unless you've experienced them. During Somatic flashbacks a person will relive the trauma via  physical sensations, such as pain, that might have experienced during the traumatic experience(s). Emotional flashbacks are probably what I deal and struggle with the most. They are also the hardest to explain to another person. Emotional flashbacks are sudden, intense emotions that are triggered by something that reminds you of the trauma and  may make you feel the emotions that you felt during the traumatic events, such as fear, or helplessness. 

How to tell if someone is having a flashback:
1. Suddenly difficulty with communication 
2. Disorientation 
3. Frozen and/ir staring blankly 
4. Difficulty making it holding eye contact 
5. Unstable, or extreme emotions (e.g., screaming, crying, etc.).
6. Calling for help, saying "no" or "stop" or trying to run away
7. Lying in the fetal position 
8. Unaware or disconnected from present 
9. Making movements or comments as if they're responding to someone or something not there. 

How to help someone having a flashback: 
1. Do not touch them, even if they are someone you are close with. This can be triggering to the individual. Whenever they are coming out of the flashback and are more aware, it is okay to ask the individual if it is okay to touch them. 
2. Do not ask them about the flashback. Again this can be triggering to them, and it may not be safe for them to talk about it. 
3. Orient them to time, place, and surroundings- use a warm but firm voice and utilize grounding techniques. There are tons of ways to ground, my favorite is the 5 senses. But different techniques work for different people. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nightmares

⚠️ Trigger Warning ⚠️ -abuse, trauma, rape  I'm 16 or 17 years old. I'm not in school, so it must be on a break. The weather is mild, not too hot, not too cold. Storm and his mom are kicked out of their apartment, and waiting for a duplex to become available for move in. So they decided to stay at a camp ground. Storm wants me to come with them. So I do. We share a tent with his mom at nights, but during the day she leaves us alone at the camp ground while she works. I want to do anything but go in to the tent alone with him while his mother is gone, but he makes me feel like I have to do what he wants me to do. It's the least I could do in exchange for him loving someone as ugly, stupid, and unlovable as me. So we go in to the tent. I feel him gently tracing the letter o over my skin. Then suddenly, I can hear the traffic sounds outside my apartment, and cheering from the nearby football stadium. Did I fall asleep? Was it just a nightmare? Logically I know I'm not in t

Sense of Duty after abuse

Trigger warning - addiction, abuse  For as long as I can remember I have always felt a sense of duty and responsibility to take care of everyone else. I'm the baby of the family, but I always had to be the adult. My dad left my mom before I was born. My mom a always working to provide for us the best that she could, but being a single parent of 3 kids is hard as hell in "normal" situations. But our situation was far from being normal. My brother is and has been an addict for decades now. He was in and out of juvy more times than I can count before he was 18, and since then he's spent more time in jail then out of it. My mom would put herself out to help him, he is her son after all... I honestly think this is part of where my sense of duty has come from... Now, after 30 years of him taking advantage of her, and throwing away the resources she worked her ass to provide him with, she had to set boundaries with him. I'm proud of her for this, because I know how impos