Skip to main content

Diagnosis female

I think every female has experienced it to some degree- being diagnosed as being female. Even now in the year 2022, a male and a female could go to the doctors office with the exact same complaints and the male is more likely to be taken seriously quicker. Gender bias exists everywhere, but in my experienced, gender biased in the health care system can be one of the most detrimental; ultimately having the potential to lead to little quality of life, and even death. I have a several chronic illnesses including a genetic condition. It took 21 years to be diagnosed with one of my illnesses and 32 to be diagnosed with the genetic condition that causes all of my other chronic illnesses. My first diagnosis at 21 was dysautonomia. I started showing severe symptoms 7 months prior to my diagnosis. So for 7 months, I was going from doctor to doctor and test to test. I know from the outside some people might think this is a long time, but in all reality it takes almost 6 years for people to be diagnosed on average. So, 7 months was actually quite quick. Why does it take so long for us to get diagnosed? Well you see dysautonomia disproportionately effects women more than men. And while I hadn’t gone so far as to research why that might be, I think it stands to reason that this gender bias could be at play. We get diagnosed as being female. It’s all in our heads. It’s anxiety and depression. It’s our hormones. This is also, I think, at least partly related to why a lot of people in the chronic illnesses community reject any notion that they might also have a mental health issues. I get it, I really do. As women e deserve to be heard, we deserve to be taken seriously, and we deserve to get appropriate and timely treatment. But I also want to take the time to acknowledge that mental health is important in chronic illnesses. Because whether or not we want to pretend that it doesn’t, our mental health effects our physical health and our physical health effects our mental health. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PTSD vs CPTSD

I have CPTSD. SO, Let's talk about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) and what the difference is.  As the name implies, PTSD and CPTSD, are mental illnesses that develop due to traumatic experiences. While they share some features, one of the main differences between PTSD and CPTSD is the trauma that causes the disorder. PTSD develops as a result of one to a few traumatic experiences. For example, a car accident or an assult. CPTSD develops after chronic, repeated traumatic experiences, like repeated child abuse/sexual abuse, or repeated relationship violance/rape.  Types of flashbacks  Visual flashbacks are what most people think of when we're talking about flashbacks. But the other types of flashbacks can be a bit more difficult to understand unless you've experienced them. During  Somatic flashbacks a person will relive the trauma via    physical sensations, such as pain, tha...

Nightmares

⚠️ Trigger Warning ⚠️ -abuse, trauma, rape  I'm 16 or 17 years old. I'm not in school, so it must be on a break. The weather is mild, not too hot, not too cold. Storm and his mom are kicked out of their apartment, and waiting for a duplex to become available for move in. So they decided to stay at a camp ground. Storm wants me to come with them. So I do. We share a tent with his mom at nights, but during the day she leaves us alone at the camp ground while she works. I want to do anything but go in to the tent alone with him while his mother is gone, but he makes me feel like I have to do what he wants me to do. It's the least I could do in exchange for him loving someone as ugly, stupid, and unlovable as me. So we go in to the tent. I feel him gently tracing the letter o over my skin. Then suddenly, I can hear the traffic sounds outside my apartment, and cheering from the nearby football stadium. Did I fall asleep? Was it just a nightmare? Logically I know I'm not in t...

My trauma is my fault

⚠️ Trigger warning ⚠️- abuse, trauma, rape My trauma is my fault. There is this huge disconnect in my brain between what I know to be factually true (or false) and what I think and feel is true (or false). My trauma is my fault.... Logically I know this is untrue; no one deserves to be raped and abused. If someone else were telling me that they felt like their trauma was their fault, I could very easily tell them that it's not, that no one deserves trauma, and give them evidence to support that their trauma is not their fault. But I'm different. I don't know why, but I'm different. I've always been different and will always be different. I didn't tell anyone that I was being abused... I wasn't clear or explicit enough for people to understand that I wasn't comfortable with what they were doing to me... I let it happen...I feel like my trauma is my fault.... So, my trauma is my fault.  This is by no means the only negative, unwanted, intrusive, automatic ...