Skip to main content

Diagnosis female

I think every female has experienced it to some degree- being diagnosed as being female. Even now in the year 2022, a male and a female could go to the doctors office with the exact same complaints and the male is more likely to be taken seriously quicker. Gender bias exists everywhere, but in my experienced, gender biased in the health care system can be one of the most detrimental; ultimately having the potential to lead to little quality of life, and even death. I have a several chronic illnesses including a genetic condition. It took 21 years to be diagnosed with one of my illnesses and 32 to be diagnosed with the genetic condition that causes all of my other chronic illnesses. My first diagnosis at 21 was dysautonomia. I started showing severe symptoms 7 months prior to my diagnosis. So for 7 months, I was going from doctor to doctor and test to test. I know from the outside some people might think this is a long time, but in all reality it takes almost 6 years for people to be diagnosed on average. So, 7 months was actually quite quick. Why does it take so long for us to get diagnosed? Well you see dysautonomia disproportionately effects women more than men. And while I hadn’t gone so far as to research why that might be, I think it stands to reason that this gender bias could be at play. We get diagnosed as being female. It’s all in our heads. It’s anxiety and depression. It’s our hormones. This is also, I think, at least partly related to why a lot of people in the chronic illnesses community reject any notion that they might also have a mental health issues. I get it, I really do. As women e deserve to be heard, we deserve to be taken seriously, and we deserve to get appropriate and timely treatment. But I also want to take the time to acknowledge that mental health is important in chronic illnesses. Because whether or not we want to pretend that it doesn’t, our mental health effects our physical health and our physical health effects our mental health. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PTSD vs CPTSD

I have CPTSD. SO, Let's talk about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) and what the difference is.  As the name implies, PTSD and CPTSD, are mental illnesses that develop due to traumatic experiences. While they share some features, one of the main differences between PTSD and CPTSD is the trauma that causes the disorder. PTSD develops as a result of one to a few traumatic experiences. For example, a car accident or an assult. CPTSD develops after chronic, repeated traumatic experiences, like repeated child abuse/sexual abuse, or repeated relationship violance/rape.  Types of flashbacks  Visual flashbacks are what most people think of when we're talking about flashbacks. But the other types of flashbacks can be a bit more difficult to understand unless you've experienced them. During  Somatic flashbacks a person will relive the trauma via    physical sensations, such as pain, that might have expe

Nightmares

⚠️ Trigger Warning ⚠️ -abuse, trauma, rape  I'm 16 or 17 years old. I'm not in school, so it must be on a break. The weather is mild, not too hot, not too cold. Storm and his mom are kicked out of their apartment, and waiting for a duplex to become available for move in. So they decided to stay at a camp ground. Storm wants me to come with them. So I do. We share a tent with his mom at nights, but during the day she leaves us alone at the camp ground while she works. I want to do anything but go in to the tent alone with him while his mother is gone, but he makes me feel like I have to do what he wants me to do. It's the least I could do in exchange for him loving someone as ugly, stupid, and unlovable as me. So we go in to the tent. I feel him gently tracing the letter o over my skin. Then suddenly, I can hear the traffic sounds outside my apartment, and cheering from the nearby football stadium. Did I fall asleep? Was it just a nightmare? Logically I know I'm not in t

Sense of Duty after abuse

Trigger warning - addiction, abuse  For as long as I can remember I have always felt a sense of duty and responsibility to take care of everyone else. I'm the baby of the family, but I always had to be the adult. My dad left my mom before I was born. My mom a always working to provide for us the best that she could, but being a single parent of 3 kids is hard as hell in "normal" situations. But our situation was far from being normal. My brother is and has been an addict for decades now. He was in and out of juvy more times than I can count before he was 18, and since then he's spent more time in jail then out of it. My mom would put herself out to help him, he is her son after all... I honestly think this is part of where my sense of duty has come from... Now, after 30 years of him taking advantage of her, and throwing away the resources she worked her ass to provide him with, she had to set boundaries with him. I'm proud of her for this, because I know how impos